Google at present launched Android Studio 3.2, the most recent model of its built-in growth surroundings (IDE), with over 20 new options, together with just a few associated to Android Pie and the brand new Android App bundle. You can obtain the brand new model for Windows, Mac, and Linux now immediately from developer.android.com/studio. If you might be already utilizing Android Studio, you will get the most recent model within the navigation menu (Help => Check for Update on Windows/Linux and Android Studio => Check for Updates on OS X).
Google launched Android Studio three.1 in March. The model quantity 3.2 would recommend this isn’t a big launch, however for those who construct for Android and skim the listing, you might discover in any other case.
Here’s the rundown of what model 3.2 brings to the desk:
- Slices assist — There is new built-in template for Slices, which floor app content material in Google Search solutions and the Google Assistant, that can assist you prolong your app with the brand new Slice Provider APIs in addition to new lint checks to make sure that you’re following greatest practices. To use, right-click on a undertaking folder, and navigate to New→ Other→ Slice Provider.
- Sample Data — This function lets you use placeholder knowledge to assist within the design of your app, serving to you visualize layouts that depend upon runtime knowledge. You can add built-in pattern knowledge to populate views corresponding to RecyclerViews, ImageViews, and TextViews through a popup-window within the Layout Editor.
- Material Design Update — When you begin migrating from the Android Design assist library to the brand new MaterialParts app theme and library, you’ll get entry to new and up to date widgets corresponding to BacksideAppBar, buttons, playing cards, textual content fields, new font kinds and extra.
- CMakeList Editing Support — For these utilizing C/C++ of their app, there’s now higher assist for CMake. Code completion and syntax highlighting additionally now work on widespread CMakeList construct script instructions.
- What’s New Assistant — A brand new assistant panel now opens robotically after an replace to tell you in regards to the newest modifications to the IDE. You may open the panel by navigating to Help → What’s New in Android Studio.
- AndroidX Refactoring Support — One of the parts of Android Jetpack is the introduction of the Android extension libraries (AndroidX) as a alternative for the Android Support Libraries. To add AndroidX to a brand new undertaking you simply want so as to add
gradle.propertiesfile. Additionally, there’s a new built-in refactoring motion to assist migrate your undertaking the brand new namespace and dependencies. Also if in case you have any Maven dependencies that haven’t migrated to the AndroidX namespace, the construct system will robotically convert these undertaking dependencies as nicely.
- IntelliJ Platform Update — The IntelliJ 2018.1.6 platform launch provides many enhancements to dataflow evaluation, debugging, new inspections, inline exterior annotations, partial Git commits, plus far more..
- Kotlin Update — Kotlin 1.2.61 brings assist for the Kotlin-friendly Android 9 Pie SDK.
- Android App Bundle — The new app publishing format is designed that can assist you ship smaller APKs to your customers and cut back obtain dimension of your app. Google Play’s new app serving mannequin, referred to as Dynamic Delivery, processes your app bundle to generate and serve optimized APKs for every consumer’s system configuration, so that they obtain solely the code and assets they should run your app. With Android Studio 3.2 or through the command line, you possibly can simply construct your code as an app bundle and get the advantage of smaller APKs primarily based on language, display screen density, and ABIs with no modifications to your app code.
- D8 Desugaring — In some instances, new Java Language options require new bytecodes and language APIs. However, older Android gadgets could not assist these options. Desugaring lets you use these options on older gadgets by changing new bytecodes and language APIs with older ones through the construct course of. D8 desugaring is turned on by default and now you can use a lot of the newest language modifications whereas concentrating on older gadgets.
- R8 Optimizer — The transition to make use of R8 as a alternative for ProGuard, optimizing and shrinking Java language bytecode, has begun. R8 remains to be experimental, so Google doesn’t suggest publishing your app utilizing it but.
- Emulator Snapshots — Create a snapshot of the present state of your emulator and boot up and change into any snapshot in below 2 seconds. Built upon the Android Emulator Quickboot function, Android Snapshots are even quicker to avoid wasting and load as a consequence of under-the-hood velocity enhancements. When testing and growing your app, Android snapshots help you pre-configure an Android Virtual Device (AVD) snapshot with the presets, apps, knowledge and settings that you really want in-place, and repeatedly return to the identical snapshot.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Support — You can now run the Android Emulator on Windows 10 computer systems which have Hyper-V enabled. Intel HAXM remains to be the default hypervisor for the quickest Android Emulator expertise. However, because of current open supply contributions by Microsoft, and the addition of the brand new Windows Hypervisor Platform (WHPX) API, the Android Emulator can coexist with different Hyper-V-backed purposes, like native Virtual Machines, utilizing the brand new Hyper-V Support.
- AMD Processor Support — AMD processors are actually supported by the Android Emulator on Windows 10. Previously working the Android Emulator was restricted to sluggish software program emulation when working Windows, however builders who’ve an AMD processor can now have accelerated efficiency.
- Screen Record in Android Emulator — You can now report each display screen and audio on any Android API stage with the brand new display screen report function within the Android Emulator. The newest Android Emulator (v28.zero.+) is now not restricted to display screen recording on a bodily Android system solely on Android four.four KitKat (API 19) and above, with out audio. As an added bonus, there’s a built-in conversion to output to GIF and WebM. You can set off the brand new display screen report function through the Android Emulator Extended Controls panel, command line, and from Android Studio.
- Virtual Scene Camera for Android Emulator — The new Virtual Scene digicam within the Android Emulator lets you develop for ARCore, Google’s platform for constructing augmented actuality experiences. The emulator is calibrated to work with ARCore APIs for AR apps and additionally lets you inject digital scene bitmap photos. The digital scene digicam may also be used as an everyday HAL3 appropriate digicam.
- ADB Connection Assistant — Android Studio 3.2 has a brand new assistant system to assist troubleshoot your Android ADB system connections points. The ADB Connection Assistant walks you thru widespread troubleshooting steps to attach your Android system to your growth machine. You can set off the assistant from the Run dialog field or by navigating to Tools → Connection Assistant.
- Energy Profiler — The new Energy Profiler within the Android Studio efficiency profiler suite will help you perceive the power influence of your app on an Android system. You can now visualize the estimated power utilization of system parts, plus examine background occasions that will contribute to battery drain. To use the power profiler, guarantee you might be related to an Android system or emulator working Android eight.zero Oreo (API 26) or greater.
- System Trace — This new function within the CPU Profiler lets you examine how your app interacts with system assets in fine-grained element. Inspect precise timings and durations of your thread states, visualize the place your CPU bottlenecks are throughout all cores, and add customized hint occasions to research. To use system hint, begin profiling your app, click on into the CPU Profiler, and then select the System Trace recording configuration.
- Profiler Sessions — We now robotically save Profiler knowledge as “sessions” to revisit and examine later whilst you have Android Studio open. We’ve additionally added the power to import and export your CPU recordings and heap dumps for later evaluation or inspection with different instruments.
- Automatic CPU Recording — You can now robotically report CPU exercise utilizing the Debug API. After you deploy your app to a tool, the profiler robotically begins recording CPU exercise when your app calls
beginMethodTracing(String tracePath), and stops recording when your app calls
ceaseMethodTracing(). Similarly, you may also now robotically begin recording CPU exercise on app start-up by enabling Start Recording a Method Trace on Startup possibility in your run configuration.
- JNI Reference Tracking — For these of you who’ve C/C++ code in your Android app, now you can examine the reminiscence allocations of your JNI code within the Memory Profiler. As lengthy as you deploy your app to a tool working Android eight.zero Oreo (API 26) and greater, you possibly can drill down into the allocation name stack out of your JNI reference. To use the function, begin a reminiscence profiler session, and choose the JNI Heap from the Live Allocation drop-down menu.
This launch consists of many stability and efficiency fixes along with the brand new options (full launch notes). Google didn’t share its plans for the following model.